Do you get a lot of emails that require follow-up or an action to be performed? If so keeping track of them and remembering when to do them can be difficult. I am going to show you a killer way to easily create a task in Microsoft Outlook to remind you to take care of it.
This productivity tip will show you how to easily covert a Microsoft Outlook email into a task with a reminder so you will never need to worry about a follow-up or an action item email.
When you receive an email that has an action item related to it such as you need to follow-up on it or that it requires a task to be done you can easily create a reminder in Microsoft Outlook by converting the email into a task.
Create a Task From An Email In Outlook
It is easy to create a task from an email in Microsoft Outlook.
- From your Inbox pane highlight the email you want to create a task for. The email does not need to be open.
- With the email highlighted drag your mouse down and drop it on the Outlook Tasks bar.
- Outlook with take your email and convert it into a task. It will copy the content of the email into the body of the task so you have all the information you need in the task.
- The subject of the task is taken from the subject line of the email, but you can easily change this to something more meaningful in your tasks list.
- Like any Outlook task you can set a due date and a reminder. Set the Due date and click the Reminder check box to set when you want to be reminded about this task.
- Now all you have to do is click Save and Close on the task. No worries about remembering to take care of the task you received in the email. Outlook will remind you of it.
- At this time you can either leave the email in your inbox, move it to an archive or action folder or even delete the email since the entire content of the email was copied into the task.
Learn more ways to take control of your email by reading “Use a 5S System For Your Email”.
We do not always have the time to follow-up or take action when we receive an email. The action may be required in the future making it difficult to remember. By converting the email into an Outlook task with a reminder you will be alerted that you have to perform a follow-up or action.
This works with most versions of Microsoft Outlook and is very easy to do. Below is a video that shows you how to do this task.