Do Your Job Well
The most important thing you can do to advance you career within your own company is to do a kick ass job. Show that you can deliver results with ever task and role you have. Be the best at what you do and people will notice.
- Strive to be the best there has ever been at your job
- Have a passion for your job
- Do more than is expected of you
Learn your strengths and your weaknesses and improve both. Don’t just look to improve your weaknesses. Build your strengths and so you can do what you do well even better. Develop talents that others in your department or company do not have. These will make you indispensable.
To advance you career and do your own job well you need to constantly improve yourself.
- Become a great communicator
- A master of time management
- A Jedi master of technical skills and knowledge in your field or one you want to advance in
Build a Network
Build a strong network within your department and your company. Not the butt kissing kind of network, but one where you have peers you can go to for advice and help when you need it. Learn what they do well and what you can learn from them.
- If you have the opportunity to help one of your peers take it
- Show that you are a “one company, one team” type of person
- Show you are collaborative and can work with others to solve problems
Have a Career Development Plan
Plot a course for your career and take the steps you need to get there. If you know where you want to go you stand a much better chance of getting there. Find out what skills you need to improve on, what knowledge you need to learn to move to the next stop on your career path.
- Develop a career plan
- Start taking the steps needed to advance your career
- Commit yourself to continuous improvement
Commit Yourself to Advance Your Career
It is not likely someone is going to knock on your door and advance your career for you. The key to advancing your career is YOU. Commit yourself to taking the steps needed to make it happen.
- Commit to your department and company, not just your career
- Commit to improving your skills and knowledge
- Celebrate your achievements as you make them
If you want to advance your career remember the key is YOU. You have to take the steps to make it happen.