Changing your Service Desk solution can be a large project with many challenges. The ideal is to improve customer service, while reducing costs and making the transition as painless as possible. Many companies also want to adopt ITIL processes into their Service Desk. For Orrick, the SaaS solution Service-Now.com was the choice.
Orrick a global law firm with clients in more than 100 countries recently faced this challange. Their Service Desk provides service to 2400 Orrick lawyers, staff and business partners around the world, 24x7x365.
Orrick was recently named a finalist for the itSMF Project of the Year award at itSMF USA Fusion 2008. Here is an overview of how Orrick handled this challenge and the benifits they have seen.
- Set out to reduce licensing costs on an aging IT service desk application.
- Legacy service desk did not accommodate Orrick IT service processes.
- Initial internal resistance to service desk replacement and full-scale process change.
- Initially considered more than 20 service desk vendors.
- Shortlist included Service-now.com, BMC Remedy and other technologies.
- Service-now.com won the business based on flexibility, ease of use and ability to support rapid adoption of ITIL processes.
- Integrated solutions included Service-now.com IT service management and RightAnswers Knowledge Base delivered via Web-based software-as-a-service.
- Implemented full enterprise 2.0 IT service delivery platform including incident and change management in six months.
- Easy Web-based integration between Service-now.com Incident Management and RightAnswers Knowledge Base for self-service and support analysis.
- Using Service-now.com Discovery to populate the Service-now.com CMDB with data, inventory and CI relationships from more than 25000 IT assets.
- Processes liberated by the tool. Service-now.com usability and flexibility supports and enhances Orrick’s established ITIL v3 processes.
- More value for the money by eliminating the legacy application for a modern, ITIL-aligned solution.
- Legacy application only provided incident management. New solution provides incident, IT asset, knowledge, problem and change management.
- Implemented Service-now.com Incident Management in 21 days with more than 80 percent first-contact incident resolution.
- The SaaS low cost of ownership allows Orrick to repurpose IT resources to drive business.
Jacque Rowden, Orrick user services manager, said, “In the past, our legacy service desk tool kept us from providing optimal IT services. However, Service-now.com is flexible enough to accommodate our processes instead of hindering them. Now we have a complete service desk that allows us to focus on what we do best — provide top-notch IT service.”
The Software as a Service (Saas) model for some companies is proving to be a low cost solution to IT customer service needs. The Orrick project is an example of how this solution was used to lower costs and increase customer service.