With increased usage of virtualization why not add to your skill set with the Microsoft 70-652 TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring exam? Below you will find a number of sources including free online training currently available.
While the exam concentrates on Microsoft Hyper-V you need to also be knowledgeable of Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM). A number of people talking about the exam have said they were surprise by SCVMM.
About the Certification
Candidates for this exam typically have more than one and a half years of experience working in Windows Server 2003 and/or Windows 2008 Server environments as system administrators. Additionally, the target audience is familiar with virtualization products and technologies.
When you pass Exam 70-652: TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring, you complete the requirements for the following certification:
Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS): Windows Server Virtualization, Configuration
Skills measured by Exam 70-652
- Installing Hyper-V (14 percent)
- Configuring and Optimizing Hyper-V (20 percent)
- Deploying Virtual Machines (30 percent)
- Managing and Monitoring Virtual Machines (36 percent)
Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V Unleashed by Rand Morimoto
- Implement best practices for planning, prototyping, and deploying Hyper-V–including strategies, processes, and templates
- Install and configure Windows 2008 Server with Windows Hyper-V Services
- Provide guest operating systems ranging from Windows 2003 Server to Linux
- Administer Hyper-V Host Servers as standalone hosts or in multiple host environments
- Optimize Hyper-V Host Server and guest sessions, by efficiently allocating memory, processors,
disk space, and other resources
- Move from basic server virtualization to a systematically managed virtual enterprise environment
- Use Virtual Machine Manager 2008 to centrally monitor all your Hyper-V hosts and guest sessions
- Quickly provision new guest images wherever and whenever you need them
- Implement reliable failover processes to overcome failures in guest sessions, host systems, or sites
- Troubleshoot problems with both Hyper-V hosts and guest operating systems
Microsoft® System Center Configuration Manager 2007 Administrator’s Companion by Steven Kaczmarek
Get the definitive guide for administering System Center Configuration Manager 2007 straight from an expert. This comprehensive reference delivers all the information you need to plan, design, deploy, and manage mission-critical software updates and help maximize your organizations productivity.
This comprehensive administrators reference drills into Configuration Manager 2007 features and capabilities for change and configuration management for Windows based desktop and server systems, providing easy-to-follow procedures, practical workarounds, and key troubleshooting tactics for everyday, on-the-job results. The author, a Configuration Manager 2007 expert who has written extensively about the technology, provides in-depth information for remotely installing, administering, diagnosing, and troubleshooting applications, and deploying patches, monitoring system usage, and tracking assets must-know details for protecting and optimizing your technology investment.
Collection 6319: Configuring Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 – $159 Currently FREE
You can currently prepare for the exam for free according to TechNet. First you must be signed in to your Microsoft Learning account. You must then use the following URL and enter the promotion code 9350-Y2W6-3676 to receive the discount. It only works if you 1) Sign in first, 2) Copy and past the URL and go to the site, 3) Click the agreement box, 4) enter the promotion code.
This collection of five 2-hour courses helps you develop the skills necessary for implementing and managing Hyper-V in an IT environment, as well as, creating and managing virtual machines and hosts in a virtual environment.
An 18-month subscription is $159.99 once the promotion ends.
This offer includes the following:
- Course 6320: Introducing the Hyper-V Technology
- Course 6321: Configuring a Virtual Environment
- Course 6322: Deploying Systems in a Virtual Environment
- Course 6323: Optimizing a Virtual Environment
- Course 6324: Managing a Virtual Environment by using SCVMM
This collection of three 2-hour online clinics and an 1-hour online clinic provides IT Professionals experienced in Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 with the knowledge and skills to implement and manage virtualization technologies.
Topics covered in the clinic within the collection include:
- Introduction to Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008
- Overview of Microsoft Application Virtualization
- Overview of Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008
- Overview of Hyper-V
Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 is a comprehensive virtual management solution optimized for Hyper-V, Microsoft Virtual Server, and VMware infrastructures, enabling easy and fast consolidation of physical servers onto virtual machine infrastructure and rapid provisioning of new virtual workloads.
Taking The Exam
Once you are ready to take the exam for a limited time you can get 25% off the cost of the exam. Use the promo code USHYPERV at checkout to receive your discount.
Register for the exam from the Microsoft Learning 70-652 page and clicking on “Register for this exam”.