Do you need Project Management software, but don’t have a lot of money to invest in it? Take a look at dotProject. It is a free open source Project Management tool alternative to Microsoft products and other expensive applications.
- User Management
- Email based trouble Ticket System
- Client/Company Management
- Project listings
- Hierarchical Task List
- File Repository
- Contact List
- Discussion Forum
- Resource Based Permissions
dotProject is a volunteer supported Project Management application. There is no “company” behind this project, it is managed, maintained, developed and supported by a volunteer group and by the users themselves.
Right from the start, dotProject had, as it’s core aims a number of simple requirements:
- Clean, simple and consistent user interface;
- Project Management functionality – not another CMS, groupware environment or all things to all people collaboration tool, but a project management environment;
- Open source / open access / free usage.
Core Modules Include
- Companies – entities that group projects together
- Departments – are subsets of Companies
- Users/Contacts – defined users with permissions
- Projects – the overriding elements within which tasks are performed
- Tasks – are the actual work components or jobs assigned within the project
- Gantt Charts – charts are available at the individual project and all project levels.
- Files Module – There is a basic files module which allows you to store files against a project / within dotProject for access by project workers.
- Forums Module – Discussion forums can be created against projects for recording discussions / notes / information against a project.
- Ticketsmith – Ticketsmith is a third party legacy package that was incorporated in the initial releases of dotProject for handling incoming support tickets.
- Smartsearch – System wide search module – within individual “modules” there are search features, smartsearch works across all modules.
- Reports Module –
- Backup Module – New module as of 2.0 to create an XML backup of your dotProject database
- System Administration – All the system administration features, including system configuration are incorporated in this module.
- Resources Module – There is a resources module which allows you to incorporate non-human resources into a project (eg rooms / equipment etc.)
There are also several add on modules, including Help Desk, Eventum Integration, Invoicing and Time sheet.
Visit the dotProject web site to download the software and find out more information.